Happiness Is ... Choosing Your Own Path

By | 18:00 Leave a Comment






I realise that this might be a tad deep when you sit back and think about it - but really makes sense.  

A large majority of people fall into a herd mentality and end up doing what everyone around them is doing.  This is probably because our entire lives have been laid out for us : attend school, go to university, get a degree in order to get a good job so as to support yourself.  If that's not enough - find a partner, have a family, support the family by continuing to work hard until retirement when you can finally enjoy your life.  Heard this before right ? 

There's nothing wrong with structure but have you taken a minute to think about whether that preset path is the path for you ?  Did you give up on an entrepreneurial move or a risky career change due to fear of the unknown / uncertainty of it all ? Is there something you feel you could have done different when you look back at the past few years ?  Are you doing what you love ? 

Ever since a young age - I realized that I'm ready to go down the road less travelled.  At 9 or 10 years old I told my parents I wanted to own a night club.  Imagine that !! When it was time for me to go to university - I ended up moving halfway across the world from Dubai to Montreal.  That's a flight time of about 18 hours including layover.  My Dad wanted me to be a banker - a good stable career.  I pursued it for all of 9 months after graduation and  left to set-up my own company managing & marketing night clubs in London.  My entire family including extended members flipped out and told me how irrational I was behaving; that I shouldn't leave a good career which growth opportunities for something that wasn't stable.  I moved out of the family house, got my own apartment and followed my passion - the world of events & nightlife.  Then about 6 years later my clients were asking me to plan private events for them and within a year of that I moved across oceans (again) to Bombay to set up my next venture in Events & Wedding Planning. 

I currently run a boutique company called A Klass Apart which focuses on events & wedding planning.  I get to work with clients and event spaces around the world.  I now take 'summer holidays' (like we did back in school) for 3-4 months a year for the last few years.  I work with select clients (mainly on a word of mouth basis) - if we 'click' we work together; if not - I rather not take the stress.   I have a portable office (my trusted laptop & hard drive) which means I can work from anywhere in the world as opposed to being in one place all the time. 

Of course it's not all a bed of roses.  I've had financial ups & downs.  I've learned a few things the hard way.  My friends are never free when I am (i.e. during the day).  The industry I'm in means that public holidays, festive seasons and weekends are generally when I am the busiest so can't really enjoy this with friends / family.  But I knew all of this when I chose to take this path and the things I didn't know I got to know over the years.  

I may not own a nightclub as yet but I know eventually I'll get there.  It's still on my mind.  Maybe if I was a stockbroker like some of my cousins - I would already have it but I doubt the journey would be as much fun as what I'm currently experiencing. 

I came across a great article 'Creating Your Own Life Path' which I resonated with and think you will enjoy as well.  

What path did you choose - the road well travelled or the road less travelled ? Are you happy with your choice ? Is there a path that you wish you had taken or think you could still take (even if it for a short walk) ?