E for Exercise

By | 10:39 Leave a Comment
Those who think they have no time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness. - Edward Stanley, Earl of Derby

Yes I said Exercise.  

Most of us have a pretty hectic lifestyle. A lot of us like the idea of being fit & healthy but don't seem to find the time to fit in any form of exercise into our schedules.  It could be because of the long hours at work; or because you're a working parent with boisterous kids; or the gym fees are too expensive - basically we make excuses to avoid getting fit.  

I've always been an athletic person through school, university and even the first few years of my career.  Then the working hours got longer; I started travelling more and I found (and still find) myself exercising less than I used to.  These days I joke with my gym trainers that I can work out for 6 months at a stretch but the minute the event season kicks in - I can't find the time for the gym.  


Exercise doesn't mean going to a gym.  It could be as simple as taking a 20-30 minute walk every day or incorporating a 20 minute yoga session at home.  What about joining a class like Kick boxing or Zumba ? I know of someone who does pull-ups on the train on the way to work.  I know a self-employed Mom with teenagers who kicks ass at Crossfit twice a week and plays soft ball once a week.  Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.  It's about believing in yourself and having the confidence to go out there and just do it ! 

I've found that home work-outs can be pretty effective if you are on a budget or you feel that you don't have the time to hit the gym or when you travel a lot for work.  There are tons of free workouts available online - my personal favourites' are HasFit and Melissa Benders Workouts - and I use them myself whenever I'm unable to get to a gym. If you enjoy yoga but can't find the time to go for a class - why not stream or download some great yoga classes from YogaDownload.com or YogaYak.com

If you don't like working out alone - get hold of a friend to join you for a walk or to take a class together.  Working out with someone else is extremely motivating and allows you to be accountable for something you have committed to. 

What kind of exercise do you incorporate into your daily life ? Are you getting enough exercise ? What kind of exercise do you enjoy or think you would like to try ?