Have you noticed that any time you visit a blog – you can almost ‘hear’ the author through their posts ? A few of my close friends who have read my blog have told me that my blog reads exactly as I speak and that’s what they really like about my blog.
Have you ever thought about how your blog sounds to a reader ? What does the tone behind the words say about your blog and what you are trying to actually convey to readers ?
I read this other article ‘Does Your Blog Have a Personality’ by Heidi Cohen that tells you how to create your writers voice. Check it out when you have a chance.
Diva’s Tips on Finding Your Blogger Voice :
- Be Yourself. Nothing you can say is wrong because it’s Your perspective. Some people will agree with you; others will not; some may start a heated debate. But there’s nothing wrong with that. Your thoughts are original to you; sure – others may think the same thought – but they process it differently to you.
- Edit Your Posts. Every writing tool (MS Word, Live Writer, down to web browsers) have got spell checks installed. They are there for a reason. Use them ! It shows a sign of respect to your readers. The same way – make sure your grammar is correct. Use capitalization and correct forms of punctuation when forming sentences.. It gives your reader a better experience.
- Commit To Writing. The more you write – the stronger your voice gets. If you haven’t already done so – set some blogging goals.
- Ask for Feedback. Let go of your ego and fears and just ask someone for feedback; and take it with a pinch of salt. Bloggers are a friendly bunch – if you ask for help – they help. If you need motivation – they give you that little push to get your feet in motion.
- Experiment With Content. If you’ve got a favourite author, give their writing style a shot. Try a new template / blog design; a writing format; make a few lists; a book or movie review; or just a post linking to your favourite bloggers.
These are just a few tips for now. Have you found your blogger voice as yet ? Yes. No. Maybe. Somewhere in between perhaps ? Not that I’m an expert – but thought I’d put together a few words of wisdom to help you determine your status. After all – its Your Voice – Your Blog – Your Blogger Voice.
p.s if you aren’t afraid to do it – you can actually create actual voice recordings and upload to your blog (my friend @DragonBlogger does this with some of his poetry) or You Tube videos for your blog and that way people can put your face to your voice !