Shopaholics : Changing Trends in Mumbai

By | 12:28 Leave a Comment

divas guest bloggerWow ! It’s been 4 years that I’ve lived in Bombay (yeah I still can’t call it Mumbai) and I must admit other than Colaba Causeway and a few high street stores – I don’t have a clue where to go when it comes to shopping. It doesn’t help that I’m possibly the worlds’ worst shopper and still get my Mum or sister or friends to go shopping on my behalf. I kid you not !

Every Sunday my mates go off to partake in some retail therapy whilst I try to take it easy. One such Sunday I came across a blogger, Nivedita of India Shopping Guide via IndiBlogger and I suggested that she and her fellow shopaholic bloggers be my guest here on my blog.

So without further adieu, for all you shopaholics out there – let’s look at the Changing Trends in Mumbai.

In Mumbai, the common man did not always have access to art and craft from Maharashtra or other states. One had to travel to Colaba, in South Mumbai, to pick up a genuine piece of art, and, more likely than not, pay too much for something that may be less than authentic. The discerning Mumbaikar waited for various trade fairs and exhibitions to pick up pottery from Jaipur or shawls from Kashmir.

High rent rates and space constraints were the least of an investor’s worries. To begin with, most artisans and craftsmen live in rural areas. The communication gap between them and the urban entrepreneur seemed too wide to bridge. Sourcing reliable and skilled labour was always a problem. Liberalisation did not help much either – it brought in shiny, new products that made terra cotta pots and cane furniture pale in comparison.

All that changed has changed over the past few years. . Numerous independent, privately-owned businesses that showcase Indian artisans and handicrafts have mushroomed across the city. Competition is fierce, and word-of-mouth is the best marketing tool.

Over the next few weeks, we will feature young entrepreneurs who have dared to be different; their ventures that are in some way a platform that encourages the love and appreciation for the skill and labour of the invisible craftsmen across various parts of India.

nupurNupur Barua rather unwisely, gave up a career as a journalist to pursue another in the world of fiction television. After attempting to understand the industry for six years, she finally gave it up to return to her first love—writing! Currently based in Mumbai, Nupur provides content and edits on a freelance basis, and occasionally designs presentations for movie and television pitches. Follow Shopping India on Twitter for the insiders-guide to shopping in India.